Accidents at Work

Accident at Work Claims

It’s an employer’s responsibility by law to ensure the working environment follows health and safety regulations to protect employers from injuries. If an employer fails to follow the guidelines and an employee is injured, the employer is liable to pay compensation.

If you have been injured at work and believe it was caused by the negligence of your employer, you could be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries.

At Mellor Hargreaves our team of lawyers have experience helping obtain compensation for accidents at work injury claims.

What should I do if I’m injured at work?

Here are some simple steps you should follow as soon as possible after an accident at work which will help you make a successful claim:

  1. Tell your health and safety representative, if you have one.
  2. Tell your employer (ideally your HR manager and your immediate boss) and make an entry in the company accident book. Keep your report factual and don’t say anything about whose fault you think it is.
  3. Write out a full and clear description of the accident whilst it’s still fresh in your mind, then sign and date it.
  4. List the names and addresses of any witnesses.
  5. Take photographs of the accident scene if you can. If not, make a sketch of the area, listing any notable features. If your employers think they are to blame, they may not allow your solicitor to inspect the scene, so acting quickly and taking photographs is extremely important.

Claiming compensation for an accident at work

Our team can also advise you on claiming disability benefits as well as compensation. An accident at work can leave you out of a job, or temporarily or permanently unable to work due to the injuries you’ve suffered.

The Department for Work and Pensions supports people rendered disabled by an accident at work and their carers with a range of benefits and services. Our team will be able to tell you what you are eligible for and help you with the paperwork.

If you have been injured as a result of your employer’s negligence you could be entitled to claim compensation. For more information on claiming accident at work compensation get in touch with Mellor Hargreaves solicitors for a free consultation on 0800 811 844.